If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Bomby plays The Legend of Zelda, game by game

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Wind Waker had some flaws but it's one of those games that are so good that the flaws are easily overlooked. It's the only Zelda I beat more than once, and I played all of them outside of SS and TFH.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:56 pm

WW's overworld exploration almost certainly doesn't hold up today, and it's at any rate been completely outdone by games like Sunless Sea, but it was the first for me, and it's one of the few games I where really have trouble putting nostalgia aside. Not even going to attempt to defend a 7x7 grid with one island each being a good system, though.

Having said that, it still has what I consider the best soundtrack in any game, looks fantastic even after 14 years, and is pretty solid in the Zelda-y parts if you put the Triforce Shard quest aside.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:59 pm

^The HD version addresses so many of the outdated faults of the game, I've gotta say. Swift Sail is godlike, and the Triforce hunt is streamlined.
Carthago delendum est

Wicked Witch of the Crest

Post by Wicked Witch of the Crest » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:47 pm

[USER=27765]@X-3[/USER]: I clicked through all of that.

Also, I did love Wind Waker, but it easily could use improvements. Namely how easy it is to get knocked off the boat can be a pain when combating enemies on the sea. Hoo boy, it can get bad.

On the other hand, Gyorg is actually not a pain in the ass like in MM.
What's the matter, scared?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:21 pm

^Probably because Gyorg isn't in Wind Waker :P
Carthago delendum est

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:25 pm

There's basically zero reason to fight enemies on the sea because of how slow it is. WW's sea has the worst separation between movement and combat in the series, which ends up being a bigger problem than one may think.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Sea combat is fun at first because it was a novel addition, but I skipped it the second time around for that reason. Combat is largely pointless throughout the series in general though.

Post by Wicked Witch of the Crest » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:02 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1609037, member: 23215"]^Probably because Gyorg isn't in Wind Waker :tongue: [/QUOTE]
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Gyorg_(Enemy) Actually, it is, but not as a boss.

Note that there's 3 different variations of Gyorg, and they're all different creatures too. The original is just an annoying large fish, the second is the Shark version found among WW and PH, and the last is the Gyorg Pair in TMC, which are basically Manta Rays. Strange that they kept changing the design. Only thing in common is that they're sea creatures.

There's also a sand version with a unique name, called Malgyorg. Spirit Tracks only.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:05 pm

^^I'm sure most people were the same. When a game is fresh, a player will take their time to explore, fight random enemies and pick up random items. When they become more accustomed to the game, they become pickier, because they've learned what's worth the time and what isn't.

In WW, a lot of things aren't worth it.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:40 pm

^ True, it probably lends itself well to speed runs since people want to skip a lot of stuff like the shards and combat. Just watched A+Start's videos on it and there's lots to work with.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:04 am

[QUOTE="Wicked Witch of the Crest, post: 1609056, member: 28177"]http://www.zeldawiki.org/Gyorg_(Enemy) Actually, it is, but not as a boss.

Note that there's 3 different variations of Gyorg, and they're all different creatures too. The original is just an annoying large fish, the second is the Shark version found among WW and PH, and the last is the Gyorg Pair in TMC, which are basically Manta Rays. Strange that they kept changing the design. Only thing in common is that they're sea creatures.

There's also a sand version with a unique name, called Malgyorg. Spirit Tracks only.[/QUOTE]
I stand corrected, then. Didn't even think of normal enemies.
Carthago delendum est

Post by Wicked Witch of the Crest » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:14 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1609072, member: 23215"]I stand corrected, then. Didn't even think of normal enemies.[/QUOTE]
No problem. The enemies aren't nearly as memorable as that one boss.

Also, it wasn't even some weird localization thing, they're named the same in Japanese too.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:01 pm

The Wind Waker (f.k.a. The Legend of Celda)
Took me way too long to finish Wind Waker. I was getting kind of Zelda'd out, so I took a bit of a break after the first dungeon. I did manage to beat every Shantae game in between, as well as try my hand at Fire Emblem (both the first GBA one and Awakening). But once I was ready to get back into another Zelda game, Wind Waker was a boatload of fun (pun intended). While sailing could still be a bit tedious at times, once I got the fast sail, that problem was mostly alleviated, and I enjoyed hopping from island to island quite a bit.

I think my favorite part was the temple where you get to throw Medli around and/or control her. For some reason, it's just absolutely hilarious how her face looks after she smacks into a wall.

Controlling that little wood guy wasn't bad either, though not quite as fun.

Looking back, the Zelda series really did need a less-serious game like this to shake things up after how dark the previous two 3D games were. The bright colors and fun soundtrack stand out among the series.

IMy main complaint is pretty much the same as most complaints I hear: the Triforce retrieval quest really bogs things down smack dab in the middle of the game, kind of like a lightning-bug section from Twilight Princess on steroids. Also, a minor complaint about the control scheme for the HD version: aiming weapons is awkward as hell. In order to aim your bow, hookshot, etc., you needed to move the analog stick on the right hand side, which is the same hand that you set your weapons to. The left analog stick instead made you walk around while you were aiming. Essentially, the only way for it to work comfortably was to set the desired item to R so you would have your thumb free to move the analog stick.

But yeah. Great game.

The list so far:
The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
³
A Link to the Past ¹
Link's Awakening ¹
Ocarina of Time ¹
Majora's Mask
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
The Wind Waker
The Minish Cap
²
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds ¹
¹ = Game I have already beaten previously
² = I got to the final boss in Minish Cap several years ago but never beat him
³ = I don't like this game enough to actually finish it.

Ranking so far:
1. Majora's Mask
2. Skyward Sword
3. Minish Cap
4. The Wind Waker
5. The Legend of Zelda
6. Twilight Princess
7. Oracle of Ages
8. Oracle of Seasons
9. Adventure of Link

Well, on to Phantom Hourglass. I can already see why this seems to be the least popular entry.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:07 pm

PH was at least better than ST, IMO.

EDIT: Also, what about Triforce Heroes and FSA?

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:36 pm

I don't like WW that much.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 pm

^^^ That is probably my favorite part too, Medli is cool and that dungeon with the mirror shield is the best.

^^ I agree.

^ y

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Boring dungeons mostly.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:43 pm

I guess I can see that, several are too short/easy, but I thought they were fun.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:49 pm

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1619531, member: 27765"]I don't like WW that much.[/QUOTE]

Well, we all have our flaws. :p

PataPanfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by PataPanfan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:20 pm

Extremely biased and wrong X-3 reporting bad opinions on Wind Waker. Sad!
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”