If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Bomby plays The Legend of Zelda, game by game

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:38 am

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1619528, member: 34539"]EDIT: Also, what about Triforce Heroes and FSA?[/QUOTE]
As far as people saying Triforce Heroes and FSA are worse than PH? Or why am I not playing them?

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:03 am

Probably why you're not playing them. Because even though I have played neither Triforce Heroes nor FSA, I cannot possibly fathom that they are worse than PH.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:47 am

TFH is clearly worse than PH, it isn't even a contest, and I didn't play it either.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:03 am

[QUOTE="Bomby, post: 1619547, member: 17840"]As far as people saying Triforce Heroes and FSA are worse than PH? Or why am I not playing them?[/QUOTE]

Why you're not playing them. Can't speak for TFH, but FSA is actually pretty great. No contest between it and PH.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:10 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!, post: 1619562, member: 18119"] I didn't play it either.[/QUOTE]
Do you even listen to yourself?
Carthago delendum est

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:21 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1619595, member: 23215"]Do you even listen to yourself?[/QUOTE]

Did you even read what I replied to?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:17 pm

I just don't understand how you can make a complete, definitive judgment on a game you've never played. Didn't you get mad at that dude on Twitter for doing basically the same thing?
Carthago delendum est

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:55 pm

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1619590, member: 34539"]Why you're not playing them. Can't speak for TFH, but FSA is actually pretty great. No contest between it and PH.[/QUOTE]
I'm only doing the single-player ones... and I'm completely aware that both of those games are able to be played single-player, but they were built to be multi-player. I own Triforce Heroes, and it's not bad for what it is, but any time I play it, I just think that it would be more fun with two other people.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:33 am

The Temple of the Ocean King is the worst thing to appear in any Zelda game ever. Worse than adding a lightning bug catching segment to the water temple where you can only defend yourself with a butter knife punctuated by poorly animated scenes with terrible dialogue.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:35 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1619640, member: 23215"]I just don't understand how you can make a complete, definitive judgment on a game you've never played. Didn't you get mad at that dude on Twitter for doing basically the same thing?[/QUOTE]
hey, Bad Opinions The Character Donut Steel here, just want to say the Shining was a terrible book and it's bad and I never read it[DOUBLEPOST=1485257704,1485257487][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="Bomby, post: 1619686, member: 17840"]I'm only doing the single-player ones... and I'm completely aware that both of those games are able to be played single-player, but they were built to be multi-player. I own Triforce Heroes, and it's not bad for what it is, but any time I play it, I just think that it would be more fun with two other people.[/QUOTE]
Four Sword Adventures is a really really good game even as single player, and having multiple people is great but it can kind of distract from the environment and suspension, keeping you more in the room with a controller than in the game world, if you follow?
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:44 am

I'd be all for a Four Swords Adventure Milwaukee meetup if we could get all the equipment and get a time
Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:47 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1619737, member: 23215"]I'd be all for a Four Swords Adventure Milwaukee meetup if we could get all the equipment and get a time[/QUOTE]
Crav might be able to help you out. We used to play together and it's about an 8 hour drive to Milwaukee from Cleveland.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:01 am

I feel like that's something that would need to be recorded as well.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:09 pm

[QUOTE="Bomby, post: 1619720, member: 17840"]The Temple of the Ocean King is the worst thing to appear in any Zelda game ever. Worse than adding a lightning bug catching segment to the water temple where you can only defend yourself with a butter knife punctuated by poorly animated scenes with terrible dialogue.[/QUOTE]

I only played WW once and don't remember it in great detail, but I remember really liking the atmosphere of that temple. It was one of the most memorable parts of the game for me.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:00 pm

^Kind of has to be the most memorable part of PH since the game makes you replay it after every other dungeon. Are you thinking of The Tower of the Gods from WW?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Whoops. Yes. I was. Please don't mind me I'll be on my way now
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1619640, member: 23215"]I just don't understand how you can make a complete, definitive judgment on a game you've never played. Didn't you get mad at that dude on Twitter for doing basically the same thing?[/QUOTE]

I said it was clear, which is only my opinion, and I am open to the opinions of others. That douche on Twitter didn't only declare the game to be bad without playing it, but the worst of all time/2016 (also that it shouldn't be allowed on the market), and wouldn't tolerate any question on the matter. Pretty big difference.

I have a pretty logical reason for my opinion, too. Twitter guy judged that game based on appearance alone, while I think a multiplayer focused game will be inferior to a single player one in a franchise known for being single player (plus I played FSAE single player so I have an idea what to expect of TFH). On top of that, I like PH and it got good reviews whereas TFH wasn't as well received.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:21 am

Wow, literally one week later...

Phantom Hourglass
The first thing I thought of while I was going through the early parts of the game was that it kind of felt like a glorified tech demo. An example of what could be done using only the stylus to control Link, which was kind of neat, but not necessarily earth-shattering. There wasn't as much freedom sailing, the puzzles seemed kind of easy, and that Temple of the Ocean King.. yuck. So as I kept playing throughout the week, I just...

... actually started to really enjoy it. Quite a bit. The more the game went on, the more it felt like a Zelda game that they had put effort into instead of just a silly little touchscreen demo. First of all, the grappling hook is a truly class upgrade from the hookshot. For some reason, being able to create a tightrope between two objects made what was already the series' signature gadget even more fun to play with, at least for me. Bombchus were more useful than ever being able to actually plot a course for them. I started to enjoy the interactions between Linebeck and Ciela, which added a bit of personality to the game.

It never really turned into a particularly challenging Zelda game, minus the more tedious parts of the Temple of the Ocean King, though even that became considerably easier (and more tolerable) as I gained more weapons to speed the process up. However, in spite of that lack of challenge overall, it was a fun little entry in the series. Not among the best, mind you, but one I'd be more than happy to return to someday in the future. Did it benefit from lowered expectations? Maybe a bit. But I liked it for what it was.

The list so far:
The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
³
A Link to the Past ¹
Link's Awakening ¹
Ocarina of Time ¹
Majora's Mask
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
The Wind Waker
The Minish Cap
²
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass

Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds ¹
¹ = Game I have already beaten previously
² = I got to the final boss in Minish Cap several years ago but never beat him
³ = I don't like this game enough to actually finish it.

Ranking so far:
1. Majora's Mask
2. Skyward Sword
3. Minish Cap
4. The Wind Waker
5. The Legend of Zelda
6. Twilight Princess
7. Oracle of Ages
8. Phantom Hourglass
9. Oracle of Seasons
10. Adventure of Link

Well, guess it's time to get into the spirit for some train conducting. Hooray for public transportation!

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:58 am

^Im with you on PH, I feel like it gets a bad rap. It's toward the bottom of my list of Zelda games, but it's by no means bad.[DOUBLEPOST=1485687501,1485687311][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1619737, member: 23215"]I'd be all for a Four Swords Adventure Milwaukee meetup if we could get all the equipment and get a time[/QUOTE]
[USER=17840]@Bomby[/USER] , would you be interested in doing this this summer? [USER=21510]@Cravdraa[/USER] , [USER=17381]@Booyakasha[/USER] , [USER=29448]@Pantagon Dark[/USER] , is this something we should think about for this summer sometime?
Carthago delendum est

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:58 am

It's really good, for sure. Better than ST at least.

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”