Bomby plays The Legend of Zelda, game by game

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:33 pm

[QUOTE="monstrman, post: 1620667, member: 37253"]You guys are over here waxing intellectual about various zelda games, meanwhile I'm all "I LIEK ZELDUH"[/QUOTE]

That's fine...if you're content being a philistine.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:33 pm

Real fans don't let friends like OoT.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 pm

I think the only zelda i've ever disliked is PH (haven't played Spirit Tracks)

I also didn't like Link's Awakening when I first played it but it was more because I was super young (like maybe 5?) and didn't really get it. It's become one of my favorites since.[DOUBLEPOST=1485916732,1485916675][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1620378, member: 23215"]^Im with you on PH, I feel like it gets a bad rap. It's toward the bottom of my list of Zelda games, but it's by no means bad.[DOUBLEPOST=1485687501,1485687311][/DOUBLEPOST]
[USER=17840]@Bomby[/USER] , would you be interested in doing this this summer? [USER=21510]@Cravdraa[/USER] , [USER=17381]@Booyakasha[/USER] , [USER=29448]@Pantagon Dark[/USER] , is this something we should think about for this summer sometime?[/QUOTE]

you know i'm always down, though with the qualifier I still don't know what the hell I'm doing beyond May
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:39 pm

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1620672, member: 27765"]That's fine...if you're content being a philistine.[/QUOTE]

You have besmirched my honor good sir

We must Kung Fu fight

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:40 pm

PH introduced the Anouki and Linebeck, the best supporting character and species in Zelda. The annoying tower is basically the main thing dragging it down.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:12 am

The mediocre environments and indirect controls weren't helping it.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:23 am

I guess they were sort of mediocre.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:42 am

Linebeck was the only part of PH I liked. And even he wasn't that great. I remember enjoying ST more than PH, but that's not saying much. I can't remember any of the reasons why. It's been almost seven years since I've played those games and I've had no desire to replay them.

I do remember the subject of Lokomo sex coming up in the Spirit Tracks thread on VGF though...

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:04 am

^ I believe we said something like, "It's like watching a train wreck."

I preferred Phantom Hourglass' overworld to Spirit Tracks'. I preferred Linebeck to anyone in Spirit Tracks (even Zelda herself). The dungeons were more interesting (barely) in Phantom Hourglass. Heck, I even enjoyed the dungeon you keep going back to in Phantom Hourglass (maybe I'm just weird). To me, it's a slam dunk contest between the two.

Though that said, both of them are far down on list of Zelda games for me.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:20 am

[QUOTE="The Missing Link, post: 1620723, member: 19860"]^ I believe we said something like, "It's like watching a train wreck."

I preferred Phantom Hourglass' overworld to Spirit Tracks'. I preferred Linebeck to anyone in Spirit Tracks (even Zelda herself). The dungeons were more interesting (barely) in Phantom Hourglass. Heck, I even enjoyed the dungeon you keep going back to in Phantom Hourglass (maybe I'm just weird). To me, it's a slam dunk contest between the two.

Though that said, both of them are far down on list of Zelda games for me.[/QUOTE]
I support this post in its entirety
Carthago delendum est

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:30 am

I thought the opposite on most of those points.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:16 pm

The only thing PH had going for it over ST was Linebeck, IMO. In every other regard ST was a vast improvement for me.

Especially the soundtrack. ST's overworld theme was killer.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:21 pm

^ST's music is killer, I'll give it that. I can't tell you a single track from PH, but I can whistle the main theme of ST right here right now.
Carthago delendum est

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:43 pm

The one thing I'll give PH over ST is that it has a final boss that's actually fun.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:36 pm

I also didn't think it was possible to make a more inane boss than whatever the hell the final boss from Phantom Hourglass was. Sadly, Spirit Tracks made that possible.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:27 pm

ST villains and bosses were just bad.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:35 pm

I thought ST had better bosses in general, like that fire/ice guy. It just had a cripplingly annoying finale.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:33 pm

[QUOTE="The Missing Link, post: 1620723, member: 19860"]^ I believe we said something like, "It's like watching a train wreck."
[/QUOTE]

or maybe like

???
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:40 am

Spirit Tracks
Better than Phantom Hourglass in all ways except for two: blowing on the damn mic so much and the somewhat underwhelming final boss. In particular, I felt like the level design was much better. I enjoyed riding the train, though I could have done without the stupid exploding angry face things that kill you in one hit. I found it satisfying when I completed crafting the Golden Train after grinding minigames for the necessary treasures. You see, I didn't realize you used treasures to build the new train parts so I was just selling them all until after the water dungeon. Whatever it was called.

I actually liked Zelda more than Linebeck. Not sure why. Perhaps it's because I like Zelda as a character in most of the games she takes a more active role in, and hey, now she's actually tagging along even if it's not the most interesting iteration of her character, or if she's really just a walking suit of armor.

Whereas PH felt like a glorified tech demo of a new control scheme re-hashing the style of WW, Spirit Tracks felt like it had purpose right from the get-go. Someone actually sat down and said, "alright, let's make a cake here now that the foundations of the control scheme are done." But this is also, presumably, the guy who decided it would be awesome to make the player blow on the mic so much. Which I did get used to.

The main theme is awesome
And with that said and done, it's on to the games I've already beaten, starting with...

A Link to the Past

This is the first Zelda game I ever played. Not the first I ever beat, mind you; I would often just turn this game on just to wander around and explore the world, discovering all of the neat little areas hidden around, looking for cool stuff. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was the game I've spent the most time playing throughout my childhood.

But this isn't about nostalgia here. In fact, playing it within this long series of Zelda games has actually kind of diminished the nostalgia I'd probably be feeling otherwise. Moreover, it's about knowing the game too well. I've long since explored every nook and cranny of Hyrule. The sense of wonder and exploration is long gone. Yet, as familiar as I am with it, I still thoroughly enjoyed playing it through.

Almost every aspect of this game have been improved in one way or another throughout its many sequels, but this still felt like the most complete Zelda experience. Most obvious is the bosses; they're actually quite underwhelming when compared to the rest of the series. The dungeon design is solid, though none stand out as unique masterpieces within the series. I mean, the music, the story, the weapons, the characters... everything has been improved upon since then.

So why is this my favorite that I've played so far? Perhaps it's because, even if all of the individual aspects have been improved upon, pretty much everything in this game is already really good. I beat the game in a matter of three sessions, getting every heart piece and weapon, and I probably could have just done it in one if it weren't for things like sleeping and eating and going to work. I got all the way through the first half of the game in the first session. I was that into it. I had to force myself to put it down.

I had to think for a bit about whether I really should rank it over Majora's Mask, all of that in mind. In the end, while MM might have higher peaks, LttP was the more consistently enjoyable game.
The list so far:
The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
³
A Link to the Past ¹
Link's Awakening ¹
Ocarina of Time ¹
Majora's Mask
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
The Wind Waker
The Minish Cap
²
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword

A Link Between Worlds ¹
¹ = Game I have already beaten previously
² = I got to the final boss in Minish Cap several years ago but never beat him
³ = I don't like this game enough to actually finish it.

Ranking so far:
1. A Link to the Past
2. Majora's Mask
3. Skyward Sword
4. Minish Cap
5. The Wind Waker
6. The Legend of Zelda
7. Twilight Princess
8. Spirit Tracks
9. Oracle of Ages
10. Phantom Hourglass
11. Oracle of Seasons
12. Adventure of Link

Now on to Link's Awakening! This is the game I was most looking forward to re-playing when I started this out last year.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:05 am

^If you aren't all Zelda'd-out after this marathon, it sounds like you might enjoy the LttP Randomizer. I had a blast with that earlier last year.
Carthago delendum est

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”