If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Bomby plays The Legend of Zelda, game by game

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:33 am

Will Bomby finish before Breath of the Wild comes out? Stay tuned to find out, viewers!

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:13 pm

[QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1622091, member: 25169"]Will Bomby finish before Breath of the Wild comes out? Stay tuned to find out, viewers!

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"[/QUOTE]
I honestly didn't think I was going to be able to, but considering how quickly I was able to get through LttP due to my familiarity with the game, I'm wondering if there will be a similar situation with the remaining three games.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:46 pm

What've you got, 3 weeks? That's totally doable.
Carthago delendum est

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:21 pm

None of those three are incredibly complicated games. Or at least there's not five-hour prologues that just get in your way.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:06 pm

I dunno, one week for each game is obviously doable but you don't wanna rush through great games like OoT, IMO.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:05 am

Link's Awakening
Those of you who, like myself, owned the original version of Link's Awakening may remember that glitch that allowed you to jump to the other side of a screen if you pressed "select" just as you were transitioning from one area to the next. When I got this game, probably around third or fourth grade, I abused the hell out of that glitch. There were definitely multiple files I created that I had to erase because I got myself permanently trapped in a room with no escape. When I finally did decide to play through the entire game for the first time, I couldn't beat it. Literally. The instrument in Turtle Rock after the boss just wasn't there. I'm not sure if that was because of the bug warp, but it was quite disappointing.

So even though I bought Link's Awakening in elementary school, I didn't actually beat it until nearly a decade later in my freshman year of college, playing the DX version on emulator over a ridiculously cold weekend when I didn't have much homework. Seriously. My dorm room was so cold that I was packing on tons of layers and heating up my socks over a light bulb (do not try that at home, kids). Worth noting: Twilight Princess was less than a month old at this point, so I imagine that's probably what inspired me to go back to LA at that point. That was a decade ago now.

Twenty years after first purchasing it and ten years after first beating it, Link's Awakening was not a disappointment to come back to. It took all of the things that made A Link to the Past great and added much better bosses. While the overworld design of Koholint doesn't quite match that of Hyrule in LttP, it's still impressive looking back when you consider the limitations of the Game Boy as a system.

A few things that Link's Awakening doesn't get enough credit for: it was the first Zelda game to have different music for each dungeon, the first game to have a long trading sequence, and the first game to really have a unique sense of character. There are lots of little quirky and odd people and animals you meet along the way, making Koholint feel like a strange little world with a lot of personality. Best of all is Marin, who comes off as a pretty well fleshed-out character for a small game from the mid-90s.

The one thing holding this game back is the controls - not that the controls are bad, by any means, but being limited to the A and B buttons for items resulted in a lot of pausing and switching things around. It's especially egregious when it comes to lifting things with the power gloves. It's still a fantastic game by all means, but I almost wonder whether I would end up ranking this game above LttP and Majora's Mask if it had a similar ABXY control scheme.

Ocarina of Time

Well, this was a pleasant surprise. While Ocarina of Time has always been a game that I've enjoyed and held in high esteem, and one that I had a lot of nostalgia for, I never really thought it was the best Zelda game. I mean, it was really just A Link to the Past in 3D, right? Plus, I was never really a fan of going with the popular opinion.

I was wrong. The formula was nearly identical to LttP's, but it added in the great things that were added in Link's Awakening - better bosses and more interesting characters - to make a better game. And it truly just might actually be the best Zelda game.

Though I bought the 3D version along with my 3DS, this was my first time really taking the time to play through the remastered game, and it's very much an improvement in all aspects except for two: 1. you can't see the pictures of Mario characters in the Hyrule Castle Courtyard anymore; and 2. the new music in the Fire Temple just isn't as cool as the music from the original printing of the N64 cartridges (which was removed from most of the later N64 cartridges anyway).

Hmm. I feel like I should have more things to say about this game other than "wow, this is really great," but I can't come up with any specifics right now. Maybe I'll add more later. I dunno. But this is my favorite Zelda so far.

The list so far:

The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
³
A Link to the Past ¹
Link's Awakening ¹
Ocarina of Time ¹
Majora's Mask
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
The Wind Waker
The Minish Cap
²
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword

A Link Between Worlds ¹
¹ = Game I have already beaten previously
² = I got to the final boss in Minish Cap several years ago but never beat him
³ = I don't like this game enough to actually finish it.

Ranking so far:
1. Ocarina of Time
2. A Link to the Past
3. Majora's Mask
4. Link's Awakening
5. Skyward Sword
6. Minish Cap
7. The Wind Waker
8. The Legend of Zelda
9. Twilight Princess
10. Spirit Tracks
11. Oracle of Ages
12. Phantom Hourglass
13. Oracle of Seasons
14. Adventure of Link

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:20 am

Many people say Ocarina of Time is overrated but it kinda made the series for a lot of people

The dungeons were all on point as well, and aside from a few things people can have minor complaints about (water temple) it's really just a solid game overall that never fails to deliver and it's one of the reasons I loved gaming as a kid. Few games hold my attention quite like it

I still like Majora's Mask better

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:25 pm

[QUOTE="monstrman, post: 1623303, member: 37253"]aside from a few things people can have minor complaints about (water temple) it's really just a solid game overall that never fails to deliver[/QUOTE]
see me after class
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:33 pm

The Water Temple wasn't a minor complaint as much as it was the point where a poor design choice reared its ugly head at its worst.

But to be fair, they amended the whole boots problem in the 3DS remake.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Yeah, it's an unfortunate combo of that and a design that encourages double-checking and back-tracking.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:45 am

[QUOTE="My Potions Are Too Strong For You Traveller, post: 1623571, member: 25415"]see me after class[/QUOTE]

it's after my class now sup

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:45 am

[QUOTE="SKELETOR, post: 1623584, member: 35827"]The Water Temple wasn't a minor complaint as much as it was the point where a poor design choice reared its ugly head at its worst.

But to be fair, they amended the whole boots problem in the 3DS remake.[/QUOTE]
This. The Water Temple wasn't even frustrating on the 3DS; though for some reason beating Shadow Link was a lot more challenging than I remembered.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:52 am

I always saw Ocarina of Time as more epic in scope and feel versus Majora's Mask, which was more like a long Twilight Zone episode.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:01 am

[QUOTE="monstrman, post: 1623640, member: 37253"]it's after my class now sup[/QUOTE]

class is about to start again I DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:26 pm

I actually beat this game a week ago but didn't write about it because I've been pretty busy since.
A Link Between Worlds
So, true story guys: A Link Between Worlds was the game that got me back into playing video games. I had been very much out of gaming as a regular hobby when it came out - I didn't even know that much about the game until a year after it came out. Nonetheless, after playing Wii U with my sister when she had to move home for a few months, buying a used 3DS with the newfound surplus of spending money I had built up from my job felt like a reasonable idea, so at least if it ended up collecting dust on my nightstand it wouldn't be too big a financial hit. The existence of a new Zelda game was quite possibly the ultimate deciding factor. Man, what a great choice. When I played through it for the first time back in 2014, it was the most fun I'd had playing a video game in a long time. However, in spite of how much I enjoyed it, I never really picked up the game again after beating it.

So the ultimate question going back into A Link Between Worlds: Is it really as excellent as it felt like when playing through the first time, or was I just taken away by a good Zelda game after having not been into video games for several years?

I'm glad to say, it's definitely the former. As I mentioned previously, I've considered A Link to the Past to be my favorite video game for well over half of my 29.5 years on this planet. A Link Between Worlds took the world that its predecessor took place in and made everything better. Better dungeons, better bosses, better weapons, better story, added side quests, a truly nonlinear structure, and a cool gimmick of merging into the walls to boot. The main complaint I hear about this game is that giving you the options of renting the weapons right off the bat instead of finding them in dungeons cuts back on the reward factor, but surprisingly that didn't really bother me much at all, perhaps because it was the #1 factor that made the nonlinear structure of Lorule work so flawlessly. Using the same overworld map as Link to the Past may not have been the most original idea, but it still stands as one of the best overworld maps in the series.

Having Lorule as an inversion of Hyrule, instead of just a mere "dark world" like in LttP or "dark future" like in Ocarine of Time, was much more interesting. I liked Princess Hilda as a character in particular, and the fact that her theme is a musical inversion of "Zelda's Lullaby" (which is still my favorite piece of music from any video game ever) is a brilliant decision. It's a real shame she was never added as a playable character in Hyrule Warriors, even if they had an alternate costume for Zelda that resembled her. Yuga was a great villain, and Ravio somewhat "jerk-faced" disposition was quite entertaining as well.

Not really sure what else to say. This is one of the greats of the series.

-----------------

So, I guess this wraps up this project I've been doing... wait... what's that over there...?

¡¡¡NEW CHALLENGERS HAVE APPEARED!!!
As I had mentioned earlier, I wasn't planning on playing the multiplayer games, but I have since actually acquired the means the play them. Yes, I bought two used copies of LttP/Four Swords, not necessarily because of this project but because I actually do want to play FS. I might actually pick up a cheap GBA second-hand if I can't find anyone else in town who still has one. As far as Tri Force Heroes goes, I've had it since it came out, so... why not add it?
The list so far:
The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
³
A Link to the Past ¹
Link's Awakening ¹
Ocarina of Time ¹
Majora's Mask
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
The Wind Waker

Four Swords
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap ²
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds
¹
Tri Force Heroes
Breath of the Wild

¹ = Game I have already beaten previously
² = I got to the final boss in Minish Cap several years ago but never beat him
³ = I don't like this game enough to actually finish it.

Ranking so far:
1. Ocarina of Time
2. A Link Between Worlds
3. A Link to the Past
4. Majora's Mask
5. Link's Awakening
6. Skyward Sword
7. Minish Cap
8. The Wind Waker
9. The Legend of Zelda
10. Twilight Princess
11. Spirit Tracks
12. Oracle of Ages
13. Phantom Hourglass
14. Oracle of Seasons
15. Adventure of Link

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:55 pm

One problem I have with Lorule's non-linear structure is how much more rewarding some dungeons are than others. Like, Swamp Palace gives you the Blue Tunic compared to Turtle Rock which gives you a shield. When going back to the game it kind of inherently discourages going with a completely different dungeon route. I guess LttP sort of has this problem too, but it feels a bit more controlled in that game imo.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:16 pm

The reason is that LttP has a "suggested" ordering. There are some hard dependencies, yes, but you really "don't want to" do dungeons #6-7 before #5 because there's a ramp in enemy difficult/damage, and the Blue Mail negates some of that. (Of course, you could just "get gud scrub" but you know...)
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:19 pm

LBW is the Zelda game I'm always having to remind myself actually exists. I had a decent enough time with it, but for whatever reason (probably the far more memorable games I was playing at the same time, honestly) basically none of it stuck with me. Wouldn't even have remembered Lorule or the non-linearity if you guys hadn't brought it up. >_> Glad you liked it, at any rate.

I thought FS was brilliant in 2005 and haven't been able to play it since because Nintendo inexplicably made the 3DS port a limited time offer available only when I was at college and couldn't get my 3DS connected to the network. Really liked FSA as well, but it's admittedly been about as long since I played that.

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”