Link's Awakening on Switch (I HOPE YALL SAW THAT DIRECT)

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

DarkZero

Re: I HOPE YALL SAW THAT DIRECT

Post by DarkZero » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:57 pm

sorry for le bump but this game is coming out in a couple days and while i probably wont get it right away i really appreciate the artstyle and general direction and also marin is adorable

Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Marilink
Supermod

Re: I HOPE YALL SAW THAT DIRECT

Post by Marilink » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:18 pm

aaaaahhhh marin

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Link's Awakening Switch Remake

Post by Deepfake » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:33 am

Since we don't have a thread here for this game somehow, still, here we go. I've been playing through this on and off since I picked it up last week and I'm actually really surprised how faithful it is to the source. In some ways I wouldn't have minded them fleshing out the world a bit more, but I'm glad it feels like Link's Awakening. The 8-way controls with the analogue kind of are a bit less precise but I'm managing just fine overall.

Visually the game is often very lovely, some of the materials are absolutely beautiful. The best visuals and audio combination I think I've seen so far are in the Face Shrine. The music starts out with a slow, deep strings version of the original, and the mood is just so spot on.

The boomerang is still absurdly overpowered, killing most everything in 2 hits or less and even damaging bosses, etc. It's a hidden item so it would want to be, but it still feels like overkill!

I am kind of wondering if the Dampe's dungeon builder thing is in some way inspired by the screen-warping glitch from the 1.0 version of the original, which could often allow you to jump around between dungeon and cave rooms in a disconnected fashion. I say that because the rooms you get to arrange with are based on the existing dungeon rooms in the game, and put together properly can still feel really hodgepodge in a similar way.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

DarkZero

Re: Link's Awakening Switch Remake

Post by DarkZero » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:35 am

http://vgf.com/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=101990

we do have a thread it just has very timely and informative naming
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Link's Awakening on Switch (I HOPE YALL SAW THAT DIRECT)

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:07 am

Threads merged, and title changed to reflect what this thread actually is. For what it's worth, we also had a page-long discussion in the Review Your Last Game thread, right here.

So my thoughts are still mostly the same as they are in that other thread. I was amazed at how faithful it was to the original, almost slavishly. This has created an interesting dialogue on the internet, I've noticed, of people who just aren't used to what game design was like in 1993. "I don't know where to do next!" (Talk to people!) "The game never told me to sprinkle dust on the raccoon guy!" (Yes, it did, you didn't talk to people). "Why was there a staircase under this random bush?" (...ok, that's fair.)

Also, for the record, I've seen several people, including games journalists, who don't have the same problem with the price tag as I did. For an astounding amount of people, this is their first time encountering Link's Awakening in any form at all, and those people seem perfectly fine with the $60. So maybe Nintendo did get it right.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:17 am

btw, something I've not yet mentioned as much as I should, is how much I love the music in this game. The chamber-orchestra feel of Ryo Nagamatsu's compositions is so fun and refreshing. It's reminiscent of what he did with LBW, but dialed back just a bit more, as you might expect for the remake of a GameBoy game.

Listening to the music in this game has also gotten me to realize how amazing it is that they crammed so much unique music onto a GB cartridge in 1993.

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:35 am

Marilink wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:07 am
So my thoughts are still mostly the same as they are in that other thread. I was amazed at how faithful it was to the original, almost slavishly. This has created an interesting dialogue on the internet, I've noticed, of people who just aren't used to what game design was like in 1993. "I don't know where to do next!" (Talk to people!) "The game never told me to sprinkle dust on the raccoon guy!" (Yes, it did, you didn't talk to people). "Why was there a staircase under this random bush?" (...ok, that's fair.)
This actually really shows the kind of difference between the games I grew up with and enjoyed the most and what's made nowadays, definitely. I kind of doubt those frustrated people are in the majority, though. The sadist in me loves the idea of trolling newer generations with the occasionally obtuse logic of older design, even so.

I'm sure it's quite lost on any newer players that having a staircase under a bush is basically something anyone playing a sequel to LoZ should expect. These days that would rate as homage, they've gotten so far afield from that original design spec.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:37 am

Marilink wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:07 am
Also, for the record, I've seen several people, including games journalists, who don't have the same problem with the price tag as I did. For an astounding amount of people, this is their first time encountering Link's Awakening in any form at all, and those people seem perfectly fine with the $60. So maybe Nintendo did get it right.
The price was lower than fully new games here by about ten bucks or more, at least. Switch pricing is bizarre, though. I'd have bought Doom 2016 for Switch by now if it weren't still priced more than I payed for the PC release.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:14 pm

Can I just talk for a second about the Angler's Tunnel music? Sorry for those of you who saw me on Twitter, because I said it there too

This is the original Level 4 music:

The rest of the music in this game is so faithfully re-created and re-arranged, but Ryo Nagamatsu takes this 12-second song and just completely transforms it.

Who would have ever thought to do something like this with this piece? He keeps the entire original loop, about 12 seconds long, with its original Gameboy instrumentation and everything. But he doesn't arrange that melody at all! He just makes it a featured sample over the top of this beautiful string progression and brand-new horn melody. The GB tune is almost out of sync with what he's done, but the way he slotted it in makes it feel perfect. It's amazing.

also, as a bonus, here is Face Shrine, which actually gave me chills when I sat and listened to it

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:23 am

Marilink wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:14 pm
Can I just talk for a second about the Angler's Tunnel music? Sorry for those of you who saw me on Twitter, because I said it there too

This is the original Level 4 music:

The rest of the music in this game is so faithfully re-created and re-arranged, but Ryo Nagamatsu takes this 12-second song and just completely transforms it.

Who would have ever thought to do something like this with this piece? He keeps the entire original loop, about 12 seconds long, with its original Gameboy instrumentation and everything. But he doesn't arrange that melody at all! He just makes it a featured sample over the top of this beautiful string progression and brand-new horn melody. The GB tune is almost out of sync with what he's done, but the way he slotted it in makes it feel perfect. It's amazing.

also, as a bonus, here is Face Shrine, which actually gave me chills when I sat and listened to it

Angler's Tunnel was a pleasant surprise, although you're right about the GB-style synths being almost out of sync, the timing is a bit stilted.

The Face Shrine's theme was so gorgeous and matched the aesthetic of the dungeon so well I had to play through the whole thing even though I'd intended to sleep as soon as I'd gotten in and saved. It's just so perfect for a classic Zelda dungeon, and I love that it fully incorporates the original theme.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:49 am

for the record, I think the "out-of-sync" integration of the GB melody in Angler's Tunnel is a feature, not a bug.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:17 pm

I'm playing through it. It's about what I expected for better or for worse. Not a fan of some of the content additions (ie: more fishing, Dampe) though, they feel like bloat and aren't particularly fun.

On a humorous note, I got stuck in Face Shrine for a bit and I swear I had the same trouble in the GB version. :lol:

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:41 pm

I, too, got super lost in Face Shrine this time around, and I'm not entirely sure why

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”