If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Switch subscription service will launch in 2018.

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:30 am

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1632347, member: 34539"]That didn't answer my question. Where are you getting that console storefronts are not getting "a healthy amount of money" from game sales? More traffic increases server costs, so that alone isn't evidence that consoles are for some reason incapable of covering said costs with profit from sales.[/QUOTE]

Look at Steam's sales vs the console digital markets and you can see Steam dwarfs them. Steam's digital sales in 2015 alone went over 3.5 billion dollars. Do you think sales on the Xbox Live Marketplace, PSN store, or Nintendo E-Shop equal that much? Steam could carry the server costs over to the players with a paid subscription but what's the need? They don't have anything to worry about with that kind of revenue. Server bandwidth still probably costs millions for them but there's no worry on that front for them. Yes I'm sure Sony, Nintendo, and especially Microsoft are certainly capable of covering those server costs themselves, but why not have the players pay for that online experience on them in order to supplement some of that cost is what they were thinking. I don't agree with it fully, but at least Nintendo's pricing is a lot cheaper than Xbox Live or PSN. The low cost seems more like it's to cover the actual server bandwidth estimated per player rather than Microsoft or Sony's higher price in order to make a profit.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:59 am

I'm not disputing that it makes business sense to charge for multiplayer. From a consumer perspective, however, I absolutely resent being charged for inferior service simply because the company can get away with it.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:50 pm

It's a service they offer you. Take it or leave it is their perspective. I'd love to see the cost of them keeping servers up yearly from each console company. Maybe that would add some credibility to the need. In Nintendo's case, that's really really cheap to be fair. Nintendo's free service on the Wii U is laughable in terms of latency and that's probably due to them trying to save money on power costs for those servers. If the companies didn't recuperate those costs you could be sure that Microsoft and Sony would have crappier servers as well.

Return to “Nintendo Main”