If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Ranking Difficulty in the Fire Emblem series

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

SmoothOperator

Ranking Difficulty in the Fire Emblem series

Post by SmoothOperator » Sun May 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Do you guys feel that the series has become harder, easier, or has mostly stuck to the same level of difficulty in each new installment? Or that the challenge dips, and raises over time?

When I was replaying the Fire emblem games released for the GBA. What i garnered after a few years of not touching the games is that FE 7, and 8 are both complete cakewalks. FE 6 is still really challenging (and Frustrating) thanks to the majority of the roster having awful growth rates.

I played the first FE, as well as Gaiden, on an emulator. FE was challenging due to many aspects of the game being... broken? Gaiden was just weird. I almost feel like I shouldn't compare them to newer games.

A few years ago I also played Awakening, and now I'm almost done with Fates:Conquest.

I would love to hear what your thoughts are, and where the games I haven't played would fall on a tier list.

Rn I guess mine would be:

{Blinding Blade, Fates:Conquest}
{Shadow Dragon (NES)}
{Awakening, Gaiden (NES)}
{Blazing Sword}
{Sacred Stones}

-Order is most challenging to least challenging-

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Wed May 31, 2017 11:52 pm

Apparently Thracia 776 is the most difficult, from what I've heard. But I've only played the first chapter.

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:02 pm

That's the last one for the SNES right?

I've also heard Path of Radiance is considered the easiest fire emblem out there, but I haven't had the chance to get a copy.

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:03 pm

I've played Thracia, and yes, it is the hardest. I needed a strategy guide for that one, there are just so many weird mechanics. You get weapons by capturing enemies, characters fatigue, staves hit across the map, commanders give their troops special boosts, not to mention the version I played was only partially translated. It's an interesting experience though, try it for a challenge.

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:15 pm

That does sound weird, but also interesting!

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:12 pm

[QUOTE="Erniewan, post: 1632245, member: 37587"]I've played Thracia, and yes, it is the hardest. I needed a strategy guide for that one, there are just so many weird mechanics. You get weapons by capturing enemies, characters fatigue, staves hit across the map, commanders give their troops special boosts, not to mention the version I played was only partially translated. It's an interesting experience though, try it for a challenge.[/QUOTE]

I came here to say this. Fates: Conquest is easily the hardest besides Thracia, though one reason Thracia is so hard is because some of these weird mechanics (namely fatigue. Deploy your A team every map? **** YOU THEY'RE TOO TIRED!! HAHAHAHA hope you didn't get your thief tired out!) artificially inflate the difficulty. That, and the final boss of Thracia is a joke. (And not just in the usual "lol hit them with the one-two super weapons and boom" ways - you don't even NEED Leif's unique weapon to beat Berdo.) Conquest remains hard to the end of the game. That final boss is NO joke.

i definitely do agree with your list, Smooth, but I will add the others:

-Radiant Dawn is up there with Shadow Dragon NES.
-Path of Radiance, Fates: Revelation, Geneology, and Echoes are are in the middle. Shadow Dragon is also there.
-Binding Blade is also with Blazing Sword, as is New Mystery. (The new characters in New Mystery make it a LOT easier.)
-Fates: Birthright is on the bottom with Sacred Stones.

This is also excluding a lot of optional challenges and the like. If you were to include optional challenges, I'd probably move Echoes up because Echoes's bonus content (the non-DLC) does not screw around with you, Awakening's bonus content is also quite hard. Fates's is a little easier, but overall it would remain unchanged.

I definitely say that Fates: Birthright and Sacred Stones are the easiest Fire Emblems, and therefore, if you're just getting into the series, the best ones to start with. Echoes I kind of advise against starting with bbecause of how.... different they are, but Sacred Stones, Awakening, etc have done a lot to sort of incorporate Gaiden's unique mechanics into the series. (Monster encounters that exist outside the weapon triangle, branched promotions, trainees/villagers, world map)

Overall, it kind of dips and raises - partly for some reasons and partly for others. But one thing that's a trend? The hardest Fire Emblem challenges are usually optional. Unlike ___ Souls which clubs you over the head with its difficulty, the hardest stuff in Echoes, Awakening, or even Blazing Sword (lol Hector Hard Mode) is all optional. Even Conquest, which clubs you over the head with the challenges, warns you "This isn't going to be easy..." It kinda fits along with the philosophy of Nintendo recently, where the base game isn't so much easy as it is approachable, but if you really want a challenge, it's there for you to seek out. (ie, nobody's forcing you to play on Hard Classic). I mean, even in Revelation... it doesn't start off very easy, it throws promoted enemies at you a LOT quicker than the other modes did, but it's not unmanageable.

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:04 pm

I wonder if I've had really bad runs in FE6 or something. Aside from a few star units, my army was largely mediocre. I've completed three runs with that game, and covered the whole roster discounting the clearly bad pre-promotes.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that felt Conquest was really challenging. I anticipated it being easier then it was. I went into it thinking it'd be like Awaking, which was a mistake haha. I did hard mode on classic, not even gonna touch lunatic mode.

I intend to get in Echo's next. I look forward to seeing how it compares to Gaiden.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Yeah, Conquest was intended to be challenging.

Echoes is a massive improvement over Gaiden - not as much in terms of map design though. :(

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:54 am

So far Conquest has kicked my ass the most. I've only played Blazing Blade (my favorite), Awakening, Shadow Dragon, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I played some Gaiden on an NES emulator but it wasn't difficult from what I played.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Return to “Nintendo Main”