If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

?? crucial plot info for Mother 3 seems to be left out of most discussions and synopses

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Apollo the Just

?? crucial plot info for Mother 3 seems to be left out of most discussions and synopses

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:08 am

So, I spent my evening spoilering myself for the literal entirety of the Mother series on various wikis, watching youtube videos of the final boss battle for Mother 3, and sobbing uncontrollably. In mostly that order, with the sobbing interspersed a bit throughout. Basically having the soul-crushing experience everyone else who actually played the games had about a decade ago, you know how it goes, I'm just fashionably late to the party.

But......... I mean, like, all of the dialogues I've found about this game all cut the story off at the same place? Like. They all cover the ending, sure. But then they TOTALLY NEGLECT to mention the epilogue. I LOVE the epilogue to Mother 3. The bit where Lucas becomes best friends with Red the Pokemon Trainer and they team up to take on Wario!!!! That was so epic. Why are all of these synopses and discussions leaving out such an awesome moment in this game????? I don't get it. pls advise :/

[spoiler]im making a joke post about ssbb to cope bc everyone else has had years to come to terms with their mother 3 feelings and im just a fresh babby flailing around and screaming. send help[/spoiler]

[spoiler]also, I read the wikis instead of playing the games bc I was like "I've been in the middle of an EB playthrough for like 5 years; at this point it's time to admit I'm probably never getting around to this series." Turns out, reading the plot synopses and getting absolutely wrecked in the kokoro by the ending to M3 is exactly what I needed. I'm 100000% playing that **** now, what ELSE do I do with these Feelings[/spoiler]

[spoiler] "For some reason, Lucas couldn't atTJDKFSKFDM,DMS,CD,,.X.C.M.CMVCKLFDLJFLJDWHYYYYYYYYYYY /gross sobbing[/spoiler]
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:56 am

The Mother trilogy is among my favorite video game series!

Which game interested you most while reading up on them?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Mother 3, definitely. It has all of my favorite storytelling tropes but done REALLY WELL and the final bossfight is incredibly interesting gameplay-wise but also SAD AS HELL. I cried just reading the wiki entries, can't imagine the experience for first-time players.

I want to play both though. I'll probably start with EarthBound and then get to Mother 3 after, since now that I know the stories I'm 10000% more invested and want to play them. :D

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:26 pm

When you start playing through them again you should totally update me about your progress!

Interestingly enough that seems to be the order most people go through the games. Earthbound > Mother 3 > Mother 1 (maybe)

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:57 pm

cl why did you spoil yourself for some of the best rpgs ever

Cravdraa

Post by Cravdraa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:51 pm

*nudge* *nudge* :yawn:

Okay, but really.

Youtube dump of some of my favorite videos from the mother series. Obvious spoilers, but whatever.

[MEDIA=youtube]-hVuv7mDNqM[/MEDIA]

Mad Duck

Porky

Mother 1 commercial cause omg it's weird and surreal

Mother 2

Mother 3

like an anime intro parody or something, idk?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:08 am

Holy **** that Pollyanna vid more like FEELS CENTRAL

Cravdraa

Post by Cravdraa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:18 am

I know, right?
I could gush for hours about the mother series or just as happily listen to other people gush about it for hours.
This is honestly totally, me holding back to avoid making an even bigger mess.

Like, that pollyanna song in the video was part of the Japanese sound track to mother 1?
They paid british performers to do a full production soundtrack with english lyrics for a game only release in japan, to make it "Feel more American" How weird is that? If you like more cheesy 80s music, most of which being love songs for some reason I 100% recommend looking them up for the pure spectacle.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:39 am

That's **** incredible. I knew the theme was from Mother 1 but I thought that the live performance was a fan version, I had NO IDEA that was officially commissioned by the makers for the game holy **** 1000/10

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 pm

^After you play through Mother 3, make sure you get the Mother 3i album. Good stuff. Also, I have some great Earthbound remixes for you after you finish that, too.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:05 pm

I mean. u can send them now. I already have half the OST on my phone and I'm literally listening to it as I type this

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:21 pm

But I want you to play the games and get as much out of them as possile
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 pm

btw somewhat related, this is the best cover of pollyanna ever recorded:

[MEDIA=youtube]x-iuEbozv1Y[/MEDIA]

I love how it starts off with the version from Earthbound in Ness's house, and also has other themes from the game mixed in throughout. Good ****. GOOD ****

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:58 am

DOUBLE POST BECAUSE!!!!!! HOMESICKNESS IS A REALLY ADORABLE GAMEPLAY MECHANIC!!!!!!!!! I didn't expect missing an attack to give me feels just yet but here we are :,(

I was battling some trees and being like "why am I missing so much is my accuracy that bad" and then I saw battle text that was like "Ness thought about his mom and got distracted"???? That's so sweet wtf.......

I like this a lot because it actually gives Ness as a silent protagonist character development - HE'S SO YOUNG- and because it makes Calling Your Mom a legitimate gameplay tactic in a video game, which is great. I'M SO SORRY NESS LET'S GO BACK AND CALL YOUR MOM RIGHT NOW.

Cravdraa

Post by Cravdraa » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:34 am

In mother 1, Ninten has asthma and needs to use his inhaler whenever he gets hit with an attack that has smoke or whatever involved. Not as cute, but I still like it cause it still has that "these are just kids" feel to it.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:07 am

wtf do u mean not as cute that's **** adorable

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:37 pm

You at Happy Happy village Apollo?

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:20 pm

this looks like some kind of goddamn useless apple kid invention smh
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:39 pm

[QUOTE="SmoothOperator, post: 1624501, member: 40382"]You at Happy Happy village Apollo?[/QUOTE]

Just got to Threed yesterday!

....Also. "One"tt. "Two"son. "Three"d. I'm slightly mad at myself for taking until literally right now to catch onto this, but at least I got it now rather than in 5 years.

((Gee I wonder whether or not Fourside is coming up soon. Next, even, possibly. But what would I know.......))

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:19 pm

The Summers of Onett+Twoson+Threed+Fourside is Tenda village for the Winters!

:wink:

Return to “Nintendo Main”