If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

What Nintendo game are you currently playing PtII?

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:46 am

Welp. I just finished Hyrule Warriors like an hour ago.

I've been playing Metroid II: Return of Samus on my 3DS. I don't really think of it as a Metroid game. It feels more like a smartphone game or something. Something to pass the time.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:59 am

[QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1625708, member: 25169"]^Me & the ladyfriend are loving Splatoon too, but we wish there were more local multiplayer options.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that seems like it's one of the biggest issues people have with the game, along with not being able to choose stages, though I haven't had the chance to play local multi-player anyway. The stage selection thing makes sense for online play though, since it's people from all over the world playing.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat May 13, 2017 5:57 am

I finally got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe after it disappeared in the mail coming from GameFly and was then delayed coming from Amazon.

It's amazing how much more I like this game when I'm not stuck playing it with the god-awful Wiimote+Nunchuck control scheme.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat May 13, 2017 6:11 am

Just picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris with a gift card. I'm still very bad at Puyo Puyo, but I'm getting better.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat May 13, 2017 11:30 am

I started a new file in ACNL and I am still crawling my way through Mother at a snail's pace.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat May 13, 2017 12:14 pm

I should start a new character in ACNL...
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat May 13, 2017 3:07 pm

I'm having a lot of fun coming back to it. It's such a chill game
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

SmoothOperator

Post by SmoothOperator » Sat May 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Bouncing between Fire emblem conquest, and the gba Final fantasy remake. Usually once one starts frustrating me I switch to the other.

I want to play through super Mario rpg since I never completed it, but I don't have the time :(

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Final Fantasy V for the GBA.

After that, I only have Final Fantasy XII to finish and I will have finished every core Final Fantasy game except for XV. I want to write a grand review of all the core Final Fantasy games.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue May 23, 2017 7:01 pm

^...that's really cool, man. Comin up with a kind of video gaming challenge for yourself and seeing it through.

Does 'Final Fantasy 13' actually get better at the thirty-hour mark, as some people say? I ask because I have FF13, and I'm eager to play it if it's a good game worth experiencing, only I didn't really enjoy what I played of it (I didn't hate it, but I sure didn't enjoy it, neither, a-hyuk hyuk).

Also...I mean, not to go off on a rant, but I really don't like Lightning. From what I've seen and heard (mainly from reviews, like Spoony's), she seems like a really disgustingly selfish person. She seems like an objectively bad, bad person. (And please correct me if I'm wrong. I want to learn.)

I mean, I'm cool with going apesh*t in GTAV, murdering people left right and center, wreaking cathartic devastation on the world, but that's something you do in spite of yourself, right? Like, at his worst, I don't think Trevor would just blow up planet Earth. His morality is bananas, but it's at least slightly upright. Assuming I actually understand what's happening, Lightning is less relatable as a moral, acceptible protagonist than Trevor. That really shouldn't be a thing. FF should be more morally pure than GTA. The series with the word 'fantasy' in the title should be less cynical than the series literally named after a category of real-world crime.

Am I making any sense, at all, here? I can't always tell.
boo-----------------------not exactly as evil as you'd imagine at first

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 am

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1631181, member: 17381"]^...that's really cool, man. Comin up with a kind of video gaming challenge for yourself and seeing it through.

Does 'Final Fantasy 13' actually get better at the thirty-hour mark, as some people say? I ask because I have FF13, and I'm eager to play it if it's a good game worth experiencing, only I didn't really enjoy what I played of it (I didn't hate it, but I sure didn't enjoy it, neither, a-hyuk hyuk).

Also...I mean, not to go off on a rant, but I really don't like Lightning. From what I've seen and heard (mainly from reviews, like Spoony's), she seems like a really disgustingly selfish person. She seems like an objectively bad, bad person. (And please correct me if I'm wrong. I want to learn.)

I mean, I'm cool with going apesh*t in GTAV, murdering people left right and center, wreaking cathartic devastation on the world, but that's something you do in spite of yourself, right? Like, at his worst, I don't think Trevor would just blow up planet Earth. His morality is bananas, but it's at least slightly upright. Assuming I actually understand what's happening, Lightning is less relatable as a moral, acceptible protagonist than Trevor. That really shouldn't be a thing. FF should be more morally pure than GTA. The series with the word 'fantasy' in the title should be less cynical than the series literally named after a category of real-world crime.

Am I making any sense, at all, here? I can't always tell.[/QUOTE]

For your first question - yes, literally at the 30 hour mark you finally escape the endless hallway and can go around and do some sidequests. A friend told me about that too a long time ago and I thought he was exaggerating. No - it really is around 30 hours.

FF13 has many characters with conflicting personalities. It's one redeeming quality from the coma-inducing gameplay. The story is actually not bad. In classic Final Fantasy games, the cast more or less bands together with little effort. In FF13 - everyone argues every second of their long walk. I find that more realistic. Lighting is essentially a female Cloud Strife (Tetsuya Nomura after all. . .). She's stoic and has resting bitch face at the beginning of the game. I don't recall ever being so turned off by her. She goes through character development like any other a-hole antihero. Now I can't speak for what happens to her in XIII-2 or Lightning Returns - as I haven't finished those.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed May 24, 2017 8:09 am

A thorough and very generous explanation. Thanks, man!
boo-----------------------not exactly as evil as you'd imagine at first

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri May 26, 2017 9:42 pm

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1631234, member: 31048"]

FF13 has many characters with conflicting personalities. It's one redeeming quality from the coma-inducing gameplay. The story is actually not bad. In classic Final Fantasy games, the cast more or less bands together with little effort. In FF13 - everyone argues every second of their long walk. I find that more realistic. Lighting is essentially a female Cloud Strife (Tetsuya Nomura after all. . .). She's stoic and has resting bitch face at the beginning of the game. I don't recall ever being so turned off by her. She goes through character development like any other a-hole antihero. Now I can't speak for what happens to her in XIII-2 or Lightning Returns - as I haven't finished those.[/QUOTE]

You do know Nomura was neither the writer nor the director of Final Fantasy XIII, right?

Currently I'm playing Fire Emblem Echoes. I have to say - It's a better remake than Shadow Dragon for sure. But in terms of how the game is.... I would say it's probably a step forward, half a step back, and maybe one or two steps to the side?

It's a little weird - in some ways, they changed a lot but in other ways they were a little afraid to change it. It has all the polish you would expect of a 2017 game, but then you get into battle and then it's like "Yeah this is a 25 year old game". The map design is almost pure Gaiden - Within act one and two, you have some maps where some units end up falling behind simply because they never get a chance to do anything. Then after that, they start filling more maps out but they're almost the same unit type. The maps are also large, but most are full of blank space. Probably to account for the bow and magic ratings - but you have a few compact maps where a lot of stuff is happening, but then a few others where the map is huge but it's full of empty space. Moment-to-Moment, the recent ones had a lot better gameplay. You truly felt outnumbered and outgunned on some maps of Fates (Especially in Conquest) and having more than a few types of enemies kinda kept you on your feet. Echoes is simplistic almost to a fault, but the keyword is almost - if you were spoiled by Fates's unique gimmicks, yeah.

I'm not shaken up around the removal of stances - Fates was balanced around stances (moreso than in Awakening). Echoes was not - if I could say, pair some units up they would wreck the map.

So tldr? It's not a bad game, just more of a different direction from Fates, and it wasn't a bad one. WAY better of a remake than Shadow Dragon was. Though I have to say - They really messed up with Faye. :/ At least the newer characters they added to Shadow Dragon (and New Mystery) had some more to them than being a freaking Yandere.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Fri May 26, 2017 11:21 pm

I've been switching back and forth between several games:

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Switch)
Not sure if I'm a sucker for buying this since I already own multiple versions of Street Fighter II on multiple platforms, but this is probably the definitive version... until another console comes out and Capcom releases it yet again. I was able to recolor Cammy to make her look similar to Shantae, but Chun Li is still Best Fighter.

LoZ: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Yup, still taking my time with this one. I don't plan on finishing it any time soon.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Switch)
I never had the chance to play any SNK tournament fighters before, but I've always heard a lot of good things. This is excellent.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
It's a Fire Emblem game, so you know it's going to be good. Next.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
Easily the best Donkey Kong title since DKC2. Also, a nice challenge compared to recent Mario games, which are very fun but very easy.

Shantae and the Pirates Curse (Wii U)
Trying to see if I can get a good speedrun time.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun May 28, 2017 9:47 pm

[QUOTE="Sim Kid, post: 1631467, member: 22276"]You do know Nomura was neither the writer nor the director of Final Fantasy XIII, right?

[/QUOTE]

He was character designer for Final Fantasy XIII.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon May 29, 2017 7:28 pm

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1631608, member: 31048"]He was character designer for Final Fantasy XIII.[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's just about all he did there. He didn't write the characters.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue May 30, 2017 6:46 am

Puyo Puyo Tetris has been my jam recently, but I have been dipping into TriForce Heroes for the Gentleman's Challenge.
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue May 30, 2017 8:58 am

[QUOTE="Sim Kid, post: 1631689, member: 22276"]Yep. That's just about all he did there. He didn't write the characters.[/QUOTE]

Character designs typically write the characters themselves. Having worked on a project myself with character designs, the designs often influence or change the writing. It wouldn't be out of the question at all for someone on the board to be like "This feels like Cloud. Let's go with that." Or vice versa - with Nomura suggesting a Cloud-like design. Ideas often overlap across the teams.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Wed May 31, 2017 3:02 am

I beat Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World. squeeeeeeeeeee Huuuuge thanks to [USER=23923]@Antisocial[/USER] *GIIIIIANT HUGS* who kept Yoshi from multiple deaths in the end. Thank you for helping me through it. ;) :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:23 am

Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Tachi de Dokodon

It is criminal that we never got this game in the west. Admittedly, you wouldn't be missing *that* much if you couldn't read anything, but then you'd probably never have heard of it, and that means you'd never get to experience this masterpiece:

[MEDIA=youtube]Lx5Pv2ZUEWQ[/MEDIA]

Return to “Nintendo Main”