If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Amiibo

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Scarecrow

Amiibo

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:34 am

Amiibo (stylized as amiibo) is a series of figurines produced by Nintendo for use with the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U gaming platforms. Similar to Skylanders and Disney Infinity, these figures, which are modelled after characters from Nintendo's various franchises, use near field communication (NFC) to interact with supported video game software, allowing data to be transferred in and out of each game and across multiple platforms. The figures can be used directly with the Wii U GamePad and New Nintendo 3DS system, with an adapter for older Nintendo 3DS systems to be released in 2015.[citation needed] The first wave of figures will be released in North America on November 21, 2014 and in Europe on November 28, 2014.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiibo

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo

Are you interested in collecting Amiibos?

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:36 am

a cash in designed to combine the unnecessary aspect of memory cards with the exploitable nature of collectible toys edging on the success of Skylanders-OF **** COURSE I'M GETTING AMIIBOS WHY WOULD I PASS UP THE CHANCE OF MY CHILDHOOD HEROES IN ACTION PACKED FIGURINES

The Amazing Tazy Ten
Supporter

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 am

I'm gonna be picky depending on what games are compatible and which figures go across games.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 am

oh god more stuff to buy.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:47 am

I can't wait to have high-quality toys of favorite Nintendo characters

I guess they connect to your games but who cares about that

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:33 am

I don't know. I might get a couple (my all-time cross-game faves------like, Yoshi and Fox, maybe Peach). We'll see.
boo-----------------------not exactly as evil as you'd imagine at first

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:19 am

I'm pretty sure some people will be excited about getting a Zero Suit Samus one. . .
[SPOILER]

[/SPOILER]
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:35 am

The characters are aready in the game, so what's the point? I don't get it.

But I agree with dark zero, I don't have a wii u but I'll still be getting these (at least the kirby one) bc they look like nice figures, and currently besides Disney infinity stuff I've only got 3 (though they are mostly my favs in their respective series's). These are cheap, so if they are good quality I'll be getting quite a few

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:59 pm

I can see some cool cross-game action going on here. Like, depending on how much you level Link in Smash, he could get extra powerups in the upcoming zelda game if you use his Amiibo there. Kinda like how skylanders figures are cross-game.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:38 pm

Looks very cool!! :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm not really interested right now.

GreenMagic469

Post by GreenMagic469 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:10 pm

This is going to fall, hard. This would have been a cool idea a few years ago, but the issue is, at the end of the day, they're selling you on cheap plastic figurines, the likes of which already exist for EVERY Nintendo character ever created. Unless you have a WiiU (which many do not), these figures won't mean much to you, and until they actually start doing something meaningful with them in-game, they seem a bit pointless. I can put a plastic figurine on my controller and get a new character? Great! Now they'll just purposely not include characters they would have originally, so they can make it an "ammibo exclusive". It's like physical DLC now. No thanks.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:54 pm

[QUOTE="GreenMagic469, post: 1494063, member: 39956"]This is going to fall, hard. This would have been a cool idea a few years ago, but the issue is, at the end of the day, they're selling you on cheap plastic figurines, the likes of which already exist for EVERY Nintendo character ever created. [/QUOTE]

Uh, really? I'm only aware of the fact that Nintendo has only released figurines of the Mario group and Donkey Kong, but that's about it. Oh, and Sonic too. Sure figurines exist of other Nintendo characters but they're like special collectibles and $50 or something. You don't see affordable figurines of Fire Emblem characters or Samus.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

GreenMagic469

Post by GreenMagic469 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:50 pm

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1494069, member: 31048"]Uh, really? I'm only aware of the fact that Nintendo has only released figurines of the Mario group and Donkey Kong, but that's about it. Oh, and Sonic too. Sure figurines exist of other Nintendo characters but they're like special collectibles and $50 or something. You don't see affordable figurines of Fire Emblem characters or Samus.[/QUOTE]

You know who buys expensive figurines? Collectors. Collectors have money. They can spend the dough on the more expensive collectible figurines, of which there are many, and even though they might also end up getting Amiibo, the average consumer isn't going to drop the money on them, which makes the only real market for these being the collectors who, as already stated, are already purchasing figurines and make up a very small minority of Nintendo's user base.

There's just no cash in this. The market is already saturated thanks to Skylanders. If kids aren't buying Nintendo games because they're tired of the characters, why on earth would they go out and buy these figurines? Skylander's advantage is that, A) it was the new kid on the block, and B) it is available on multiple platforms. Very few WiiU = even fewer Amiibo = no profits. Not to mention, given some time, these collectible NFC figurines will go the way of the dinosaur, much like card games before them.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Val isn't sure yet. He's pretty firmly against expensive collectibles, but if there's strong enough motivation he might grab one or two.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:56 pm

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1494069, member: 31048"]Uh, really? I'm only aware of the fact that Nintendo has only released figurines of the Mario group and Donkey Kong, but that's about it. Oh, and Sonic too. Sure figurines exist of other Nintendo characters but they're like special collectibles and $50 or something. You don't see affordable figurines of Fire Emblem characters or Samus.[/QUOTE]
I will definitely buy anything Metroid related. Probably the same goes for Zelda.

The thing about random collectable figures is they don't really do anything aside from look really nice and they tend to represent a big black hole in your bank account that I can't justify. I really like the idea of how these might interface with the games, though. Like I said before - if we get to the point where I can use a Metroid Amiibo in Mario Kart or something simply because they've set the standard and are expected to let me use the character I like, then I'm 100% sold on it, no matter how they want to sell it.

The DLC argument we've all heard doesn't make any sense. It's supposed to contain an evolving artificial intelligence that you can drop into whatever game it interfaces with. Anybody who makes that argument is pretty much instantly wrong.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:08 am

They are cool but I have no interest until they do an action-RPG with every character or release every Pokemon as a figurine that work alongside a good Wii U Pokemon game.

As it stands, they are trash functionality for SSB and have miniscule importance in other games. There is a LOT of potential though but knowing Nintendo...

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:31 pm

New ones...

:D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:57 pm

dire need of the Ike Amiibo NOW[DOUBLEPOST=1417215422,1417215373][/DOUBLEPOST]dp: So far I have the Samus Amiibo. May either get Kirby or Mario next. Dearie me are they expensive though

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Do they really look this good in person? I've had a lot of bad experiences with the dichotomy of the advertised quality vs. the actual quality.

Return to “Nintendo Main”