GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Valigarmander
Supermod

GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 pm

...CARDBOARD!
Nintendo has long been the quirkiest major video game publisher, a company eager to buck industry trends in pursuit of fun. Last year, as competitors at Sony and Microsoft continued to turn consoles into living room PCs, Nintendo released a comparatively underpowered tablet that blurred the line between portable and home gaming, and turned it into a huge success.

Now, the company plans to follow up the red-hot debut of the Switch with a new initiative that taps into what Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima calls “new ways of playing” — and it involves a lot of cardboard.

Today, the company revealed a new initiative dubbed Nintendo Labo, which involves DIY cardboard accessories that can transform the Switch’s Joy-Con controllers into everything from a fishing rod to a piano to a full-on robot suit. These accessories are then used to control a variety of mini-games, essentially turning the Switch tablet into a tiny arcade. The goal of Labo is to get kids involved in playing games on the Switch in a more hands-on, tactile way.

It’s the kind of experience that seems like it could only come from Nintendo: clever, charming, and completely unexpected. “Labo is unlike anything we’ve done before,” says Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aimé. It could just be the thing to keep the Switch’s momentum going in its second year — but more importantly, it’s a whole lot of fun.

The Labo platform is defined by three key characteristics, according to Nintendo: make, play, and discover. The product itself comes in the form of a kit that includes a Nintendo Switch cartridge and a series of cardboard sheets, along with a handful of other building accessories like string and plastic connectors. After you pop the cartridge into the Switch, a series of on-screen instructions on the tablet take you through the steps for building each of the different accessories, which Nintendo is calling Toy-Con (a play on the Switch’s Joy-Con controllers). It’s a setup that is particularly well-suited to parents playing with their children; one person can handle the instructions, while the other builds.
When I heard Nintendo was making cardboard accessories, I was a bit dumbfounded. But seeing how complex some of them are, I'm definitely intrigued now.

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Re: GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:32 pm

This is such a crazy and weird idea.

I love it.

I’m not gonna but it. But I really love that it exists.

pepsibetsy

Post by pepsibetsy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Nintendo is AMAZING -- love this idea! Can't wait to see all they come up with. I already love my switch

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:52 pm

i wanna know how that cardboard piano works

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna buy this and pretend to drive a motorbike while sitting on my coffee table.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Not for me, but it'll be interesting to see where it goes. Here's hoping it gets pushed far enough.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 pm

When is Nintendo going 3rd party?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:51 pm

The potential profit margin on this is actually insane though

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Yeah, definitely. This is going to make them a lot of cash, but why market it (at least initially, I haven't seen any NS commercials since they first announced it) toward young adults and finally get mainstream 3rd party M Rated shooters like Doom and Wolfenstein...but then backpedal into "kidz & fam lol" with this cardboard stuff?

It just seems to me that Nintendo has never been able to decide how to present themselves. NES was plainly marketed as a toy for kids, then they got edgy from N64-NGC, then reversed course for Wii & Wii U. Now what are they doing with Switch? I don't even know. Someone in marketing needs to be hung, that's all I can say because even as someone following gaming closely I don't have any idea who Switch is for. "here kids, play doom in your cardboard robot suit i guess?"

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Can it not just be for everybody? Because it’s definitely spanning generations. I work with elementary school kids, and they’re talking about the Switch as often as I see my Millennials, etc. Twitter timeline talking about the Switch. It’s a big deal for more than just a single demographic.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 pm

It can and should be, I just don't think they're communicating that well. I'm pretty sure that played a part in Wii U's failure, a lot of people apparently didn't understand it. I don't think Switch is being marketed much better.

I think the fact that Switch is portable is doing it a lot of favors, handheld Nintendo systems kinda speak for themselves.

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:49 pm

At the very beginning the marketing was looking pretty iffy, but I think after the initial stuff with all the motion controls being shown it took an upswing. Easy logo to pick out, with a memorable sound to associate with the Switch. It's clearly a separate thing from the Wii, and everything about it is centralized around its main idea - as the slogan says, "Switch and Play." Switch's marketing has been an obvious success imo. The Wii U comparatively will probably be remembered as the weird little brother to the Wii rather than have its own identity.

And yeah, the marketing goal is to appeal to both casual and core gamers. I can't say that this product in particular did a great job, but Switch marketing in general has been quite good if sales figures are anything to go by.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:46 pm

i've heard from people who have kids / spend time around kids that their reactions to this are veryi/i] enthusiastic

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 am

Cardboard ages poorly. Seems like something that'll work well for a month or so at best.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:46 am

Sony: VR

Microsoft: HoloLens

Nintendo: Cardboard

pepsibetsy

Post by pepsibetsy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 am

Booyakasha wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 am
Cardboard ages poorly. Seems like something that'll work well for a month or so at best.
I didn't even think about that -- you right :cool:
I'm the girl who's kickin' the coke machine
Image pepsibetsy

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:15 am

I'm not gonna get it, but I AM SO GLAD THIS EXISTS

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:04 am

Sim Kid wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 pm
Hardcore gamers be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Jewri ... outu.be&a=
**** that was perfect.

This actually looks pretty sweet and I'm glad to see them taking obvious steps towards doing some VR stuff with the switch.

As for the cardboard/age business, if it comes as a cheap flatpack and it's good I'll just grab some extras and probably build a permanent solution from wood/whatever. Having the components with assembly instructions makes this kind of thing basically a how-to for that.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:25 pm

Does Nintendo Labo come in a cardboard box? You know, a disposable cardboard box that contains the Nintendo Labo cardboard boxes? And then you take the Nintendo Labo cardboard boxes out of it, and you throw the now-emptied Nintendo Labo cardboard box cardboard box away as garbage, because it is a cardboard box? Strictly curious.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Return to “Nintendo Main”