If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

GameCube error message

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

SciFyDi

GameCube error message

Post by SciFyDi » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi,
I recently bought a GameCube console bundle on ebay. The seller put in the description that the item was working. I hooked up the console and promptly got an system error message. I tried to clean the lens and wipe away any dust. When it started up again it went into menu mode but it would not recognize any of the discs I tried to play. The next attempt at restarting it was back to the system error screen. Any last tips at fixing this. I got it for a really good price and was trying to see if I could salvage it
Thanks,
Diane

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Usually not worth it to refurbish a gamecube yourself. My best bet would be to request a refund and file a claim with Paypal for him lying about it working. You can usually pick up a working refurbished gamecube from any local pawn shop for about 50-80 dollars.

Jere

Post by Jere » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:34 am

What does the error message say?
Beep Boop absolutely not a bot!

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 am

I get the startup screen with the GameCube icon. Then a pink box appears with the words:
An error has occurred
Turn the power off and check the Nintendo GameCube instruction booklet for more information.

Jere

Post by Jere » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:14 pm

Does it give the error message when it boots or when it tries to read a disc?

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 pm

When it boots up the GameCube icon comes on then it looks like it's going to go into menu but it doesn't. Instead the pink error box appears. The first time this happened I gave it a quick wipe down and restarted it. It was able to boot and go into menu mode. However it kept saying that there was no disc detected with every game I tried. The next couple of tries it would not even load the menu just back to the GameCube icon and then the pink error box. I really don't know if it's worth it to replace the lens. The console looked pretty good in the pictures but was in bad shape when I received it. I don't want to try and fix it if even more things are wrong with it.

Jere

Post by Jere » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:04 am

Internet appears a bit muddy on this one but a fair chance is that it is some kind of issue with the laser unit in the GC, try to so if cleaning the thing solves the issue (picking it apart might unveil some other stuff that is not working properly) along with adjusting the lens

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:18 am

Eh, just sounds like a shady seller. I'd consider getting a refund if I were you. Functioning Gamecubes aren't that hard to come by. Unless you need it for some dedicated function such as the gameboy player attachment, I really would recommend you get a used Wii as the system is more common and retains all the general functionality for GCN games.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:45 pm

I stupidly ditched my almost brand new GameCube ( sold it for twenty bucks at a yard sale) when I got my Wii. I figured I wouldn't need it to play games anymore and the Ganecube was just going to be taking up space. I honestly never thought that the GC was going to be an in demand vintage console and I was shocked at some of the prices on eBay. For some reason I just really wanted another one. The seller at first seemed pretty reasonable about me returning this thing. When he realized he was going to have to pay for return shipping he never sent me a label and disappeared. I had to open a dispute. That leads me to believe he knew it was broken and doesn't want to pay to get a broken item back. I didn't expect this as he is a power seller and has 100% positive feedback. I thought I was getting a decent deal. GameCube console and cables, four controllers and nine games for Seventy bucks. He did offer me a partial refund. If he doesn't want to pay shipping maybe I can just pay him for the games. If we can work something like that out then I definitely will crack open the GameCube and go exploring.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:57 pm

I never realized Gamecube was worth anything. Bought for $30 a few years ago and then bought a bunch of games from Gamestop when they were clearancing everything. I don't think they test their games any better than an eBay seller, but most of them work.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:14 pm

If all you need is the console, you might check out secondhand shops in your area. Most brick-and-mortar stores have pretty reasonable 'try before you buy' policies------------most offer a money-back/exchange guarantee on defective gear, for that matter. Doesn't hurt to ask.
boo-----------------------not exactly as evil as you'd imagine at first

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:59 pm

That sounds like a good idea. I'm probably going to go to an actual storefront to get one. We have a vintage game store here in downtown Houston called GameOver. I might check them out tommorow since I have to be in the area anyway. Then I'll see what GameStop has to offer.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Big fan of GameOver. I live in Houston too. I don't think a GC will run you much there, and they have sales pretty often too.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:22 am

[QUOTE="Shane, post: 1639727, member: 1"]I never realized Gamecube was worth anything. Bought for $30 a few years ago and then bought a bunch of games from Gamestop when they were clearancing everything. I don't think they test their games any better than an eBay seller, but most of them work.[/QUOTE]
Hell, I remember buying a copy of Metroid Prime for like 8 dollars, unopened/new from Gamestop back when the GCN was current. I don't get the point of going hardware specifically on a gamecube unless you already have the gear, to be honest. But I suppose the entry level for emulation of the system is still more costly than getting one used.

Wii-era Nintendo is certainly not really very nostalgic for me, though, and it feels commercial-cheap in some ways, so I can see people preferring the cube over that I suppose.

Apparently the Wii U actually has largely all the ability to support GCN games in Wii mode, just not the gear to run the discs. If you homebrew it, apparently one can load the disc images off USB or SD memory. I may eventually go that route for the sake of convenience, but I do like the GCN controllers.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:02 pm

[QUOTE="Deku Tree, post: 1639750, member: 18320"]Big fan of GameOver. I live in Houston too. I don't think a GC will run you much there, and they have sales pretty often too.[/QUOTE]

I went over to GameOver today it's a pretty nice store everything for every system. The game prices I thought were kinda high but the system prices were pretty good. I was going to get the GameCube but then I saw the Sega Dreamcast sitting next to it. I had wanted a Dreamcast forever. The manager told me they are not that popular and the games are easy to bootleg. It was also a lot cheaper than the GameCube. I think I'll find a decent GameCube one of these days.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:20 pm

^Dreamcast's a pretty rad system, man.
boo-----------------------not exactly as evil as you'd imagine at first

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:46 pm

[QUOTE="Jere, post: 1639617, member: 35148"]Internet appears a bit muddy on this one but a fair chance is that it is some kind of issue with the laser unit in the GC, try to so if cleaning the thing solves the issue (picking it apart might unveil some other stuff that is not working properly) along with adjusting the lens[/QUOTE]

I guess I will be attempting to fix the GameCube! I had to file a case against the eBay seller. I told eBay I never got my prepaid shipping receipt. They emailed me back and said they sent me a shipping label and to mail the guy his stuff back. A few hours later I get an email from the guy apologizing profusely saying he sent over a full refund and I can just keep the system and games. I don't know if he really felt bad or eBay chewed him out but that was kinda cool I get to keep everything. So yeah I'll be doing a lot of Internet research on getting this thing going again. Ill make a new thread if I find myself stumped on fixing it. Thank you guys for all the suggestions and help.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:18 pm

^ That's very good news, I think that as long as you are comfortable working on the hardware it can be fixed, provided you are cautious and troubleshoot all of the possible components. I've never had to repair a GCN drive specifically, but I can tell you some stuff about the kind of general hardware issues you may address:

If it's related to the disc drive, you could have a few things wrong with the hardware. There may be a belt or more likely a gear related to the spin that has aged poorly, in which case the teeth may have worn down or the belt gotten stretched out. Since it's Nintendo, I'm guessing no belt.

It could also be that the motor itself has failed components in which case the unit may be kaput, but it's more likely something like worn gears.

It could also be that the lens may need reseating or replacing. The lens motor will function independent of the spin motor and is most likely to have a belt of some kind.

It's also possible that the lens has failed to return to its default position and needs to be manually reset, as the system may expect it to be in a default location when it initializes.

Jere

Post by Jere » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:02 pm

The last part is what i expect to happend as it gives a error message during bootup.
allso good to hear regaring the Ebay seller

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:58 pm

[QUOTE="е и ժ е я, post: 1639880, member: 25415"]^ That's very good news, I think that as long as you are comfortable working on the hardware it can be fixed, provided you are cautious and troubleshoot all of the possible components. I've never had to repair a GCN drive specifically, but I can tell you some stuff about the kind of general hardware issues you may address:

If it's related to the disc drive, you could have a few things wrong with the hardware. There may be a belt or more likely a gear related to the spin that has aged poorly, in which case the teeth may have worn down or the belt gotten stretched out. Since it's Nintendo, I'm guessing no belt.

It could also be that the motor itself has failed components in which case the unit may be kaput, but it's more likely something like worn gears.

It could also be that the lens may need reseating or replacing. The lens motor will function independent of the spin motor and is most likely to have a belt of some kind.

It's also possible that the lens has failed to return to its default position and needs to be manually reset, as the system may expect it to be in a default location when it initializes.[/QUOTE]

I had some free time to look at the GameCube. The first thing I had to do was give it a good cosmetic clean. This thing was filthy. It has obviously been kept in a basement because it reeks of mildew and is covered in dirt. As I was cleaning it mud, dog hair and dead ants fell out of the fan vent. I looked in there with a light and the fan is caked with mud and sand. I took a q tip and wiped all along the inside lens. The first game I put in there actually loaded up and played fine. Every time though I try to change a disc I have to wipe the lens down again with the q tip. I'm wondering if I should just leave it alone and deal with it or if I should try to bump up the sensor a little and if that doesn't work replace the lens. Since it was poorly taken care of I don't want to get in there and disturb any pieces that were just barely hanging on and have the whole thing fail if I know that I can get it to work with just a q tip cleaning every time.

Return to “Nintendo Main”