If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

GameCube error message

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 am

Yeah, as long as you're happy going through the motions to use it then that's your call. I think that sounds like there might be something else going on which could be some concern, all of the gunk inside is probably a good hint that something worse might be waiting inside. Sugar ants are attracted to computer boards due to the heat they produce, for instance, and they can nest inside electronics. If you want it to keep working I'd suggest you get yourself a proper screwdriver for it and open it up just to double check. A search on the net will suggest how to open it up safely, no doubt.

If you do open it up and it's in need of serious cleaning, a lint-free/static-free cloth with some isopropyl alcohol should be the way to go. Just very lightly brushing anything off with that will likely be enough. Electronics are obviously delicate to a certain degree, but so long as you work on it and you're not on a carpet or in a very humid/ionic atmosphere you should be all right. Just keep a container handy for any loose screws and make sure you put it back according to spec.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:49 am

[QUOTE="SciFyDi, post: 1640633, member: 40519"] it reeks of mildew and is covered in dirt. As I was cleaning it mud, dog hair and dead ants fell out of the fan vent. I looked in there with a light and the fan is caked with mud and sand.[/QUOTE]

Christ, I've never heard of a console being that gross.

It's a shame when people don't know how to properly take care of these things.

Anyway - I totally missed this thread but I find it very interesting since I myself am getting into cleaning video game hardware. Ultimately I want to try my hand at repairing my cousin's old NES. I recently got into the vibe of collecting video games, and as such I learned about treating them well. Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol works miracles. I recently de-gunked my SNES.

I remember having a somewhat similar issue with my GameCube years ago. It stopped reading the games. I shipped it to Nintendo to fix it, since I still had the box, and I think they replaced the disc reader or something. Yeah - so on another note, always keep your boxes. You never know when you're going to need to ship a console back for repairs.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:08 pm

I wish you could still send in your old consoles to Nintendo for repair. That's the first thing I checked out when I received the GameCube. I had no idea bugs would be attracted to the heat. It makes sense though. Love Adam Scott's face lol. I always thought that being able to restore the old systems would be a nice skill to learn. A fun hobby that could definitely earn you some cash. I always hear of people wanting their old consoles fixed and not a lot of people either want to do it or know how to. I've done basic repairs over the years but I've been lucky enough not to have to do any major repairs I guess until now. I was looking at this site called ifix that I'll probably use as a reference. I'm freaked out about what's going to be inside the GameCube. If it has roaches I'm done lol.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:43 pm

[QUOTE="Shane, post: 1639727, member: 1"]I never realized Gamecube was worth anything.[/QUOTE] They weren't during the Wii era, but then the WiiU/Switch couldn't support the Cube's discs.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Yeah GCN games got super expensive, much to my frustration. I used to be able to buy like three or four of them for the price of one now.

Return to “Nintendo Main”