If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

The appeal of Star Fox.

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:05 pm

Idk, Star Fox 64 and the snes Star Fox was pretty damn fun in my opinion. The franchise as a whole revolutionized how shooters should be and were able to push both the N64 and the super nintendo to new capabilities. Of course I'm talking about the super FX chip, but does anyone remember those commercials of Star Fox 64 where the rumble pak was included? It set the stage for Playstation to copy that rumble into its later controllers and the Xbox even adapted it when they released their console. The characters had enough depth to them where you could feel like they really were a team and understand the differences between everyone. Star Fox Adventures may not have been the shooter everyone expected, but it's still a revolutionary platformer in its own right. It wasn't meant to be a shooter, or even a Star Fox game at that. Take into the fact that Rare left for Microsoft too. The series has switched hands a few times so you have to take this into consideration too as to why the later games are different.

The series in general too, is a homage to Star Trek and Star Wars too and works really well. Fox McCloud and Falco are timeless and it's cool to see a different feel to a Nintendo franchise that isn't always "happy happy smiley" Mario or Pikmin.

I'm curious VG_Addict. Why do you feel that the series was never good? Can you provide some insight into your opinion? Why do you feel the games were never good? What was it that put you off for each game?

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:43 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1638571, member: 23215"]I still bust out SF64 quotes frequently.

"Hey Einstein, I'm on your side!"
"They're on me! I'm gettin' careless!"
"THEY'RE THROUGH THE SECOND LINE"
"I CAN'T STOP IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT"
"If I go down I'm TAKING YOU WITH ME"

etc[/QUOTE]
MY EMPEROR I'VE FAILED YOU
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 am

[QUOTE="е и ժ е я, post: 1638736, member: 25415"]MY EMPEROR I'VE FAILED YOU[/QUOTE]
TOO BAD DAD'S NOT HERE TO SEE YA FAIL
Carthago delendum est

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Come to think of it, on Star Fox Adventures, it as cool being able to see Fox's fur rendered so well. Idk, they're a ragtag team of cliches but it works. You instantly remember what each member's role is forever after one playthrough. I'll put this here though for anyone who wants to laugh at how you can use the quotes so sexually.

[MEDIA=youtube]LGpBzxEukic[/MEDIA]

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:50 pm

I was a big fan of Assault when I was first starting to play console/3D games. At least relative to what else I was aware of at the time, the local MP had pretty mind-blowing scale and variety.

Went back to it last year and lasted about 10 minutes before concluding that, no, everyone else was right and that game is terrible.

The rail shooting segments of the games I've played have all been pretty enjoyable, but Nintendo being Nintendo, they obviously can't just leave that be.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:50 am

^ Yeah they really have to mess with something. Like, honestly, they also act like every game has to sell 10 million copies or more to be successful. Sometimes selection and good ratings are important to incentivise consumers to give a **** about your platform, you know?[DOUBLEPOST=1501159845,1501159794][/DOUBLEPOST]But hey, I'm still kind of bothered that Metroid: Prime hasn't been ported to 3DS or Wii U. Or Switch at this point. Come on guys, that's just lazy.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:51 am

^you can get the metroid prime trilogy from the wii u eshop
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:00 am

[QUOTE="DarkZero, post: 1639144, member: 34654"]^you can get the metroid prime trilogy from the wii u eshop[/QUOTE]
Doesn't count, you can't control it natively with the gamepad and it's not in the system's native resolution as it's just a direct rip of the Wii disc. I own two copies of Prime Trilogy, one PAL and one NTSC in the tin case. I'd just stick one of those in if that's the experience I was after.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:28 am

Guys, we've managed to secure a pre-order for the SNES classic/mini console. I am going to play the hell out of the finished Starfox 2.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:06 am

Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1639307, member: 23215"]^I hope it wasn't through Wal-Mart[/QUOTE]
Nope and there's no Walmarts in Oz so no worries about that. We got it through Catch of the Day which probably sold out in the first minute it went on sale. Whoever suggested EB took 3 days to run out is full of it, too. I was on that the day after and they were long gone.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:39 pm

[QUOTE="е и ժ е я, post: 1639143, member: 25415"] Like, honestly, they also act like every game has to sell 10 million copies or more to be successful.[/QUOTE]

I know this is a late post, but I feel that's a problem with a lot of companies in gaming these days.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Re:

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:36 am

VG_Addict wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:39 pm
е и ժ е я, post: 1639143, member: 25415 wrote: Like, honestly, they also act like every game has to sell 10 million copies or more to be successful.
I know this is a late post, but I feel that's a problem with a lot of companies in gaming these days.
Yeah, it really is. It's good that so many clever creators have headed the way of Indie gaming, because it means new ideas aren't suffocating under the weight of an overblown budget and a bunch of execs trying to justify it. You really have to keep in mind that a game like Doom was made over 20 years ago, is still heavily played, and it was only built by a handful of the industry's brightest.

Return to “Nintendo Main”