If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Character and Franchise changes you're still irked about

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:19 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1636320, member: 23215"]speaking of Pokemon, I want a real rival again. I liked Hau as a character, but I want to hate a rival like the old days.[/QUOTE]

Preferably one you can name "Douche" and not feel guilty? :P

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:44 am

Ah yes, my grandson, FrickButt
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:33 am

I've **** posted this on like 5 other threads but I'll say it again.

Why was Kris removed from Pokemon heart gold/soul silver. I just don't understand, you've got this really cool looking character who is extremely important to the evolution of your series, and you replace her. Not only do you replace her, but you give the replacement OVERALLS? Why would you do this? There is no reason, they were hell bent on keeping everything else nostalgic, but not this?

I'm also not a fan of Sonic's modern design. I don't even know what it is about it, it just really bugs me.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:42 am

This is the tiniest complaint ever but I'm really upset that in ORAS the bushes/trees that grow berries all look the same. I loved how in RSE the berry trees all looked different, it kind of fleshed out the world in a really minor way, and since the work was already done for them I have no idea why they badkpedaled that in the remakes. ORAS is literally perfect in every other sense so WHY

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:47 am

I still can't really get over the VA change between SA2 and Sonic Heroes. Tails is especially awful. Everyone else sounds way lamer.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Tails was the only VA that changed between the two games. The Great Voice Change happened in Shadow.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:51 pm

as much as i hate to be one of "those people", i have to say that ryan drummond was my personal favorite voice for sonic. his voice really captured the youthful energy that sonic had.

jason griffith, while i actually prefer his shadow over david humphrey, his sonic never did anything for me. it always sounded too low-energy and old. it got a little better over time though.

roger craig smith works as sonic despite also sounding old and low-energy because he's really good at playing the snarky version of sonic. like, he's perfect for the sonic boom cartoon.

Dux is not you

Post by Dux is not you » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm still irked that I had to live through my DS years playing Castlevania instead of any Metroid titles.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:23 pm

but Dawn of Sorrow is better than a majority of the entries in the Metroid series...so that could have been worse
Carthago delendum est

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:18 am

[QUOTE="Dux is not you, post: 1639988, member: 28251"]I'm still irked that I had to live through my DS years playing Castlevania instead of any Metroid titles.[/QUOTE]
Isn't prime hunters for ds? Dsi had them on virtual console, and the og ds could play the gba games.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:45 am

[QUOTE="Dux is not you, post: 1639988, member: 28251"]I'm still irked that I had to live through my DS years playing Castlevania instead of any Metroid titles.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, the DS Castlevanias were brilliant. It's a shame that Konami doesn't respect their staff or fans at all, I would've liked that to continue, but at least the GBA games were pretty bloody good too so I got those for cheap.

[QUOTE="Artemis008, post: 1640014, member: 40449"]Isn't prime hunters for ds? Dsi had them on virtual console, and the og ds could play the gba games.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but Hunters is a lot like Prime: Pinball. It's cool for a distraction but nowhere near the same thing as the proper series. It was just an excuse for Nintendo to have an Unreal Tournament in their stable on the DS, and rightly so. Don't know why the hell there weren't many good FPS for that system, the ports of Doom and Quake I've got on my 3DS play better than the original PC versions.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:11 am

[QUOTE="Artemis008, post: 1639904, member: 40449"]I've ****ing posted this on like 5 other threads but I'll say it again.

Why was Kris removed from Pokemon heart gold/soul silver. I just don't understand, you've got this really cool looking character who is extremely important to the evolution of your series, and you replace her. Not only do you replace her, but you give the replacement OVERALLS? Why would you do this? There is no reason, they were hell bent on keeping everything else nostalgic, but not this?[/QUOTE]

To tie in with the character in the anime? Like how the female trainer in FR&LG is based off of Green's redesign and not her original design? The Pokémon trainers and rivals tend to be based off of characters from the manga - Lyra was the exception, along with those team rocket bozos in Yellow. (and the strange design choices.)

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:10 am

[QUOTE="Sim Kid, post: 1640792, member: 22276"]To tie in with the character in the anime? Like how the female trainer in FR&LG is based off of Green's redesign and not her original design? The Pokémon trainers and rivals tend to be based off of characters from the manga - Lyra was the exception, along with those team rocket bozos in Yellow. (and the strange design choices.)[/QUOTE]
Didn't they use diamond and pearl for the anime? Green also never appeared in the originals, and isn't it the other way around with the manga basing characters off of the game?

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:30 am

Yes, it is.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:46 am

I loathe the romantic subplots in Final Fantasy games ever since VII. There's nothing wrong with having a romantic subplot but they've been awfully orchestrated with cheesy dialogue and cringe worthy scenes. VII was pretty cheesy. You know how I feel about VIII. I've yet to finish XII so I don't know if they do it that much. IX and X were somewhat bearable. XIII was the absolute worst. I expect XV to continue the tradition.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:09 pm

^^^ yeah the Pokémon games never change their content to match spinoff media to my knowledge. It's the other way around.

There's 0 good reason for Kris being retconned, other than maybe "the games are heartGOLD and soulSILVER so calling her Crystal makes no sense", but still. The redesign is a new character with kiiinda similar hair rather than a redesign of her existing character like it was for Gold/Ethan.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:43 pm

It does result in the bizarre bit of trivia that, despite the first two sets of releases (three if you count Yellow) only having male protagonists, there are more female leads than males in the mainline Pokemon games.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:19 pm

please to bring back the Emerald Version Battle Frontier

best postgame EVER.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Artemis008

Re: Character and Franchise changes you're still irked about

Post by Artemis008 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Castlevania going from awesome 2d action platformer series to mediocre god of war. As in going from Castlevania Adventure Rebirth to Castlevania Lords Of Shadow.

ScottyMcGee

Re: Character and Franchise changes you're still irked about

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:18 am

Yoshi games are cute and all but I miss Yoshi's Island. Yoshi became SO cutified. The music is always like you're in a pre-school. I take it kind of demeaning and like I know they're marketing Yoshi to much younger kids nowadays. But I would like more Yoshi's Island-esque Yoshi games, not just in gameplay but music and feel and atmosphere.

Return to “Nintendo Main”